Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Temporary Studio

Ever since my roommate moved out about a month ago I've been wondering what to do with her vacant room until I move out in August (we're not subletting). A few totally impractical ideas crossed my mind such as hosting classes out of her room or turning it into a rave. But because I like torturing myself with things I will probably never have again, I decided to turn it into my own personal art studio.
Basically this just consisted of dragging my dusty art supplies from my closet to her room and pinning some brown paper from a package I got up on the wall. I've never been too fond of canvas. It feels too high-pressure, too permanent and not to mention too expensive. I spent most of college painting on deconstructed cardboard boxes.
I haven't made work consistently in over two years except for a few months when I got to take editorial photography and a conceptual studio class when I got shut out of other classes. My grad school program was not studio based so I am thankful that I got to make some work in spite of that. The fear of disappointing professors makes me productive like nothing else can which is probably why I don't actively make work very often. I never really know where to start either. Because I am extremely creative I thought "landscape!" I keep getting all of these air quality alerts for New York on my phone but clearly the air in New York isn't killing me fast enough so I chose to use pastels for this project.
I thought maybe creating this studio space for myself would motivate me a little. It has motivated me to start at least. And starting is a start, right?! I'll just ignore the fact that I haven't made progress in over a week.
This is the view I'm drawing. It'll only be my view for a little over a month longer so I figured I should document it somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment