Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Perfect Apartment


Queens, New York apartment

I wanted to make a post about my grandparent's apartment in Queens. It is a constant source of inspiration for me, both interior design-wise and in general. I've spent countless hours there since I was born and have made quite a few memories in the process (I've even been naked in the kitchen sink, granted I was only a few months old). 

Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, New York

My grandmother keeps the apartment spotless. I'm enamored with the shiny wood floors, the mid-century furniture, the clean upholstery, chandeliers, and perfect light fixtures. I love the hanging plants and the framed artwork on the walls. Their apartment is what I hope my home will look like one day. I completely blame this place for my obsession with mid-century wood furniture and airy, clean looking rooms. 

Mid-century couch, lamp

Their apartment is also the reason I like the color brown so much. I actually wear a lot of brown which can be very challenging as a New Yorker who also really likes black. My grandmother has always been a huge creative influence for me. Actually both of my grandmothers have. One grandmother taught me to draw faces and people and this grandmother taught me how to draw trees, how to sew, use clay, charcoal, pastels, paint, etc. In addition to my grandma's home-making skills, she was a special education art teacher for years. 

two-seater couch, loveseat

This is probably my favorite nook in the whole world. And that chair...ohhhh that chair. I have daydreamed about that upholstery more times than I'd like to admit. My grandma painted the streetscape above the chair. Oh and in addition to having great style, my grandparents also have excellent taste in food!

kitchen

Growing up I spent a lot of time in this kitchen. Baking with my grandma, chatting with my grandpa, eating lunch with them and watching the Price is Right on television. Foods I associate with them: lamb chops, potted chicken, mashed potatoes (my grandma seriously makes the best mashed potatoes you will ever have in your entire life), kasha varnishkes, kirby cucumbers, coffee candies, and soft macaroni noodles with butter. 

dining room, wine

My grandpa is the most generous person I know. He was born in Vienna and is a veteran as well as a Holocaust, heart attack, and cancer survivor. In his spare time he collects wine. The wall in their dining room is wallpapered in wine labels. You can kind of see it in the mirror's reflection but I'll have to get another picture. My parents did the same and wallpapered our dining room in Queens with wine labels when I was growing up.

grandmother

My amazing grandma in her living room. Her design ideology is that objects should either serve a purpose or be beautiful. I really like that.

bedspread, mexico

This is the room that I always stayed in when I slept over my grandparent's house. My grandma made the cat pillow on the bed. She's made quite a few pillows for me over the years, including big, red velvet lips which are probably my favorite. The bedspread is from their travels as is many of the other artifacts and art around their apartment. I did happen to make the three pictures hanging in this room during school though!


3 comments:

  1. oooh her apartment is perfect! my bf's grandma has an amazing apartment too. all those senior citizen bitties know what they're doin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their home is so beautiful! I think of my grandparents home for interior inspiration as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful apartment :) i love the atmosphere and attention to detail, definitely wish my place looked more like this!

    ReplyDelete